The VFW has three qualifiers for membership, as set out in our By-Laws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:
- Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.
- Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently serving.
- Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:
- An authorized campaign medal (see the list of qualifying medals and badges below)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days
If a veteran’s DD-214 or other military documentation confirms they have been
awarded one of these campaign medals and they have served honorably,
then they are eligible for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
List of qualifying medals and badges:
• China Service Medal
• American Defense Service Medal
• European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
• American Campaign Medal
• Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
• Army of Occupation Medal
• Navy Occupation Service Medal
• Korean Service Medal
• Navy Expeditionary Medal
• Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal
• Vietnam Service Medal
• Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
• Southwest Asia Service Medal
• Kosovo Campaign Medal
• Combat Infantryman Badge
• Combat Medical Badge
• Combat Action Ribbon
• Air Force Combat Action Medal
• Combat Action Badge
• SSBN Deterrent Patrol Insignia
• Korea Defense Service Medal
• Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
• Afghanistan Campaign Medal
• Iraq Campaign Medal
• Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
• Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon WITH GOLD BORDER
• Korea Duty (Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days)
• Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay
*This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314-801-0800 to request more information.
For any questions regarding VFW eligibility, please contact the
Membership Department at email@example.com or by calling
1-888-JOIN-VFW (564-6839) for assistance.
Cost of Membership
The Annual VFW Membership is $45. Below is a VFW Lifetime Membership fee chart. For more information, please visit VFW Join.
|Age as of December 31st||One-Time Payment||Life Membership||Installment Plan|
|Initial Payment||11 Payments of|
|THROUGH AGE 30||$425||$45||$38.64|
|81 AND OVER||$170||$45||$15.45|
We always welcome applications for new members. Below is a link to the VFW membership application. Please fill out and print and contact VFW Memorial Post 9156 by calling (920) 458-0801 to schedule a membership orientation meeting.
Veterans of Foreign Wars slogan is “No one does more for Veterans.” We look forward to having you onboard and being a part of doing more for Veterans.